The roots of Polarity Therapy have long been open to debate, some say the roots are in Chiropractic, some say in Ayurveda, some say in Yoga or Astrology. I would say that much of Polarity Therapy has its roots in Hermeticism and as we study the philosophic background and understanding that underpins Polarity we can clearly see the workings of Hermes-Trismegistus.
This mythical figure is shrouded in mystery and a debate has always raged about whether Hermes – Trismegistus was an actual person who lived around the time of Moses or merely a construct. Whatever ones thoughts on this topic there is no doubting the existence of Hermeticism, a school of thought that is diametrically opposed to Arisotle’s rationalism. It is a Mystical mode of thought that does not recognise the rational intellect as the supreme arbiter of reality but rather it emphasises the mystical experience and a direct knowledge of the absolute. In this regard it has similarities to Taoism but the two are not related. Where it does have common ground with Taoism is that it is seen not just a philosophy but a way of living and therefore has very practical applications.
Those of you familiar with Polarity will see direct reflections in the Hermetic laws or principles and the Principles of Polarity. For instance, Hermeticism goes beyond duality and embraces everything as a single, all-encompassing totality where distinctions between spirit and matter, body and soul for instance are harmoniously integrated. Polarity recognises the various manifestations of duality within us all and seeks to reconcile them to bring about a more balanced, rounded, whole person.
Another Hermetic principle states that everything is interconnected. That everything we know has interlocking relationships. Things reflected other things, or mirrored each other, correspond to other things in an incessant, vibrating living web of correspondences. In Polarity we see this in the myriad of reflex and correspondence pattern that we work with in relation to the human body.
True, without error, certain and most true: that which is above is as that which is below, and that which is below is as that which is above, to perform the miracles of the One Thing.
“As above, so below” is perhaps the most famous of the Hermetic laws. It states that the structure of the microcosm is in accordance with the structure of the macrocosm. Thus the structure of the atom mirrors the structure of the solar system and vice versa, and therefore, Man mirrors the cosmos and vice versa. The interrelationship between the microcosm and the macrocosm is symbolised by the symbol of the 6 pointed star. Such symbols are repositories of energy and we often work with the energy pattern of the 6 pointed star to bring about balance and hold or maintain energy within the system. The world within also mirrors the world without. In Polarity we recognise that a person whose life is disorganised and messy is reflecting a disordered way of thinking and feeling.
The more you understand what Dr Stone was getting at in Polarity Therapy, you more you realise that the work is based in large part on the 7 Hermetic Principles that are not just therapy but a Way of Living.
In case you are not acquainted with the Hermetic Laws they are:
1. The Principle of MENTALISM – “The All is MIND” The Universe is mental. This Principle embodies the truth that “All is Mind” It explains THE ALL (which is substantial reality underlying all the outward manifestations and appearances which we know as the “Material Universe;” the “Phenomena of Life”; “Matter”; “Energy”; in fact everything that is apparent to our material senses) is SPIRIT
2. The Principle of CORRESPONDENCE – “As Above, so Below; As Below so Above” This principle states that there is always a correspondence between the laws and phenomena of the various planes of being and of life.
3. The Principle of VIBRATION - "Nothing rests; everything moves; everything vibrates." This Principle embodies the truth that "everything is in motion"; "everything vibrates"; "nothing is at rest"; facts which Modern Science endorses, and which each new scientific discovery tends to verify.
4. The Principle of POLARITY - "Everything is Dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet...”It explains that in everything there are two poles, or opposite aspects, and that "opposites" are really only the two extremes of the same thing, with many varying degrees between them.
5. The Principle of RHYTHM - “Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.” This Principle embodies the truth that in everything there is manifested a measured motion, to and fro; a flow and inflow; a swing backward and forward; a pendulum-like movement; a tide-like ebb and flow; a high-tide and low-tide.
6. The Principle of CAUSE AND EFFECT - "Every Cause has its Effect; every Effect has its Cause; everything happens according to Law; Chance is but a name for Law not recognized; there are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the Law." It explains that: "Everything Happens according to Law"; that nothing ever "merely happens"; that there is no such thing as Chance... only law unseen.
7. The Principle of GENDER – “Gender is in everything; everything has its Masculine and Feminine Principles Gender; manifests on all planes." This Principle embodies the truth that there is GENDER manifested in everything — the Masculine and Feminine Principles ever at work. This is true not only of the Physical Plane, but of the Mental and even the Spiritual Planes.